Life changes happen. After a divorce and even after the initial parenting plan, changes can occur that changes the custody or support need. The best-case scenario in these situations is that you and your spouse can come to an agreement. Otherwise, the two of you may have to undergo extensive hearings and litigation.

The Florida Statutes define relocation as a change of location of the principal residence of a parent. To relocate, the parents must agree on the relocation. If the relocation interferes with the current parenting plan or time-sharing agreement, then the parents must modify it. The two must ratify it via a court order and evidentiary hearing.

If you seek to relocate and there is no agreement, then you can file a petition and serve the other parent with said petition. This petition needs to have signatures that you sign under oath. It must also include the new address, mailing address, telephone number, dates of the move and the reasons why you want to relocate.

When it comes to family court, the initial decisions are not always permanent. The law recognizes that the orders need to change over time. Any change in your circumstances where the current timesharing agreement or custody agreement no longer works must face modification. After all, say that your home is your child’s primary residence and you plan to move out of state or more than 50 miles from your former spouse. When you move, your spouse may not be able to visit or continue with his or her side of the parenting plan. Legally, you cannot change the plan without permission.