When Florida couples get divorced, there are hundreds of details to hammer out. One of the most important details involves the children. If you are the custodial parent and will be receiving child support, it is vital that you get the amount you need to care for the children. Those who have adult aged children or children ready to go to college may find it hard to pay the costs without help from the non-custodial parent.

According to FindLaw, child support can cover any number of things, including any of the following: medical care, necessities like food and shelter, childcare, educational fees, travel and transportation, extracurricular activities and entertainment. At the very minimum, child support should cover snacks, groceries, beverages, jackets, shoes, appropriate clothing and mortgage or rent.

While these things are important, one of the most expensive parts of raising a child to adulthood is a college education. As tuition, books and housing skyrocket throughout the country, it becomes harder for one parent to manage the costs without help or a scholarship of some type. In Florida, child support payments usually end after the child has graduated high school and turned 18 or 19. This means that without a special exception, college costs are not usually covered by child support.

One way to make sure that college costs are split evenly is to include some terms in the original divorce document that requires both parents to contribute equally to higher education for children. The courts cannot unilaterally require a parent to pay for college, but it can hold an individual in contempt if they refuse to make payments they agreed to during the divorce. When the document is signed, items should be specified and clearly articulated to avoid any confusion.

This information is for educational purposes and should not be interpreted as legal advice.